Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Dog Incident

Facebook is a wonderful social platform  that has now expanded past the point of creeping on others to being able to reach a wider audience and spread word to others on social issues or current events. I, of course, try to keep Facebook light and fun, used for creeping and posting amusing anecdotes.

I don't mind if people overshare, in fact I look forward to it so I can screen grab their embarassment and faux pas and send it to all my friends. Odds are if you've put a "poor me" statement on there, we've giggled at it. This is the problem with Facebook: it seems private as you post from the depths of your dark room, when in reality your friend's, sister's cousin who you met at a party once and drunkenly added - is also reading your life journal. They aren't as emotionally bound to you and therefore find these attention grabs amusing rather than inspiring any empathy. And before you think I'm sitting here all holier than thou, we've all been guilty of it.  If you trolled through my status updates, I'm sure you'd find a pity party in there somewhere. I do try to limit this though, whereas some people seem to revel in their doom. This amuses me. Observational comedy at it's finest.

Now today, instead of a status overshare, my eyeballs were scorched out of my head by someone posting an extremely graphic photo of a dog that had been set on fire. Very tragic. It is awful and I, of course want whoever did it to die a slow, painful death BUT did the poster have a right to force that image onto me? I say nay nay. There was not even a warning or an "explicit content" disclaimer. Just a straight up vomit-fest on my newsfeed. I couldn't select to unsee it, I had no choice when it came up.

I had to say something. This of course sparks the infamous Facebook fight - another cringe moment. I know I'm right but I hate the public battle more than I desire to rub her face in it as she did with that picture. I have just decided to let it fester after one comment, in the hopes that she now knows she's a massive jerk for forcing her choices on others.

Then I wrote a blog on it.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment