Friday, March 7, 2014

Single Bed Problems

I live in one of the nicest areas of London.
I live in one of the nicest flats in my area.
I have a single bed in the nice flat in the nice area.

This poses many problems.

1. I feel like Harry Potter living under the stairs of my crazy uncle and aunt's house. People see my gorgeous flat then realise I live in a cave. It's a nice cave with flowers and pretties, but a cave nonetheless.
2. The idea of having a single bed seems cosy but it's really not. It's more like a confined space such as a prison cell or a padded room. I don't think I've had one good night sleep in this bed because to roll over, you have to wake yourself up fully, sit up, then turn on one hip so no pillows/blankets shoot off. I do this every 30-40 minutes. I haven't had a REM sleep since September.
3. The shame of telling people your bed is just a single is almost too much to bear. Plus you can never have sleepovers unless the other person is really willing to share. And by share, I mean snuggle. And by snuggle, I mean melt into your body. You really do feel like you are in fist year university again, however this time you are working full time in an adult career and you buy your own groceries, make your own life decisions and floss your teeth but then always have to end the day in a child-like state.
4. This might seem obvious, but a room containing a single bed, is proportionate to the size of the bed, obviously otherwise who would ever opt for a single bed? If the room could hold ANYTHING bigger, you would make it. This means if I change out of clothes quickly and leave my trousers on the floor, it looks like a back-to-back special of Hoarders. Everything must always be hidden away, as clutter is simply created by one item out of place. One time I felt my entire room was a dump and I couldn't quite pinpoint what was giving me cleanliness anxiety. Then I realised I had some bobby pins scattered about my bedside table. It was the visual representation of the auditory expression 'so quiet you could hear a pin drop." My room was so small you were able to see a (bobby) pin drop(ped on the table).
5. Friends don't even want to come over, because if they do and they want to talk privately, they have to sit quite intimately beside you on your little bed so the two of you can fit. Whatever they also felt needed to be said in private away from others, is now taken to such an extreme level of intimacy that it is undoubtedly making their secret harder to share. You therefore end up always going to the other person's house and feeling that resentment of constantly being the one that has to make the effort to see them. This also breeds insecurity. Why won't they just come see you? Why don't they want to snuggle up in bed with you? What's wrong with curling up with you? I would curl up with them if they had a bed only the size of their body plus an inch. Wouldn't I?

Anyway, I don't want to move as I do love the flat itself and the people I live with. I guess I'll just have to deal with the cave and continue to use my flatmate's master bedroom to store all my extra clothes, laundry, coats, shoes, and get changed in there when picking through multiple outfits. He won't mind right?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the visual representation of the auditory expression 'so quiet you could hear a pin drop."

    You are perfect.

    ReplyDelete