Friday, March 21, 2014

Late Night Phone Calls

Phone calls have become a thing of the past. Texting, instant messaging, private messaging, snapchatting, even voice memo-ing have replaced the good old fashion phone call. I was a convert. I used to see a name pop up on my call ID and just let it ring out before texting them that I couldn't answer because I was in public (I wasn't) or that I was in a quiet area (just in my underwear in my flat - not assed to speak).

I must admit with a huge amount of shame that I am a phone addict. A constant communicator. My friends and I are in a constant dialogue of just shit. Pictures, jokes, anecdotes are all shared instantly. Although many people argue it's not quality conversation, I think it brings a closeness to the people I care about when I live so far away. It's the kind of chat you would have if you were walking around the mall together and you saw something weird happen. You'd share a look and a laugh. The only way for me to do that now is to snap it and send the funny thing over whastapp. I don't feel shame about this aspect, but I do cringe at the other ties it has on me as a result. It's a different level of communication that sometimes I think might be less special and a more needy way of conversing (wondering why your friend hasn't said 'haha' to the latest meme you've sent them).

Recently though, I have rediscovered the phone call. I enjoy it immensely. The voice on the other end making me laugh and hearing my reactions. No miscommunications or misreads. A dialogue between two people. There's a spark there. A something special.

Researchers debate about how much of the messages we receive are from non-verbal cues. The typical percentage thrown around is 55%. However, when playing with the definition of non-verbal to include body language, some studies argue that 93% of communication is not in the words used but everything we see. Well what does this mean for the texters? Removing now even the tone of voice from the sender, what percentage of the message are we really hearing? Do we have to make it all up?

I'm returning to the phone call. It brings with it a nostalgia for my teens and a rush when I hear the phone ring. Maybe it's just the novelty of moving away from messaging or maybe it's the person calling.

Either way, I'm answering.

No comments:

Post a Comment