Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Lego and Let it Snow

After yesterday, I believe the universe felt they owed me one and gave me the best year one class I could have asked for. Not only were they super cute, but they also made me full out laugh SO many times (plus it didn't hurt that the school cafeteria was free for teachers to eat lunch, woop woop). The teacher whose class I was covering for, was called away for the day and hadn't planned anything, so she let me do some really fun lessons and pretty much just chill with the kids. For maths, we were focusing on spatial awareness so the class busted out huge tubs of Lego to build houses to scale. 

One of the kids made a giant house, but didn't put in a door. When I asked him why, he said "it's a prison for my brother, he sucks." Hearing a proper British child say something sucks is actually hilarious and he was promptly awarded full marks. At lunch time, the cafe served meat lasagna but they needed a vegetarian and halal alternative, so they just served all those children cheese that had been grated to look like spaghetti. I was like "eat your noodles Nasma" and the little girl said "this is just cheese, if I eat it, I will get a tummy ache." The cheese was mounded on their plates in huge helpings, mucho disgust but absolutely hilarious. 

The rest of the afternoon we practiced for the Christmas assembly, which meant I put on a cd the teacher made of seven songs the kids had to learn. They were busting out some sweet dance moves and they had actions to each lyric. Some of the songs included what you would expect i.e. Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and Jingle Bells, but then there were some other gems like Bad by Michael Jackson, The Lion Sleeps Tonight by the Tokens, and Walk Like a Robot by some Kids Pop Band. For Bad, the routine planned for the assembly, was boys rolling around the floor like break dancing, while the girls made a circle around them saying "ooh ooh." Best. Day. Ever. I wish I had a camera because by the end of it, tears were streaming down my face from laughing at how sweaty they were getting dancing so hard. The dancing was also choreographed, so it wasn't like loser Romp-A-Room stuff where kids just hop around like they are in a bouncy castle. The moves were so legit and every single child knew them.

I don't know if this post makes me a loser for even writing about loving building lego houses and watching dance routines, but I think it actually makes me pretty awesome (poss why Julia thought I would be into LARPing...I am not.). Either way, I know I have chosen the right profession because kids always think talking about lego and dancing your butt off is cool. Win.

1 comment:

  1. Never any doubt in our minds that you were meant to be a teacher - you have always taught Pinkball good lessons.
    BTW, LARPing sounds like a hoot, as long as it involves scenes from a Barbra Streisand movie.
    Maszha

    ReplyDelete