Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Final Destination...Death by Shower

If you have ever seen the movie Final Destination or even Saw, you will understand my sheer panic.
I was in my shower which is already a glass case of emotion, made for infants, when I pressed the button to turn on the water and nothing came out. I fussed about with the nozzle, the temperature dials, and all the settings, but nothing more than a trickle ran out. Showers in the UK are typically powered by this stupid box on the wall instead of taps, yet another clever invention of the British (not).

As I was about to retreat to my room, settling for being a grease ball for another day, I heard a high-powered piston-type sound, much like the sound of air breaks on a rollercoaster such as The Bat. I looked up, into the shower head which is directly above me when scalding hot water poured out over my entire body with such a force that I was blown back into the glass doors of my standing shower. I couldn't get out. The glass doors are on rusty old tracks which are impossible to maneuver even if flesh-melting water isn't running over your tender bits.

I instead, rolled back and forth against the glass until I managed to burn off just enough nerve endings to endure the pain long enough to smash through the glass latch and run sopping wet onto my bathroom floor.  I really felt like I was trapped and going to melt to death in this tiny shower, found the next day by my grungy boy room mates. In fact, there is a scene in Final Destination where two girls are burned alive in a tanning bed, very much the same as my situation. I turned off the shower, fiddled some more and settled for a freezing shower to stop my arms from blistering.

Here is the hell I am referring to:


3 comments:

  1. I see a trace of faint light pink on the wall where the lava nozzle is...is that your toasty peeling flesh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky you survived! I imagine you will now be wrapped in pressure bandages and polysporin until your burns heal.
    That explains why Elizabeth I reputedly declared herself that she bathed once a month "whether I need it or not."
    For safety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Half a tick - there are a lot of brill British inventions:
    Catchy accents
    Great expressions like "bollocks", "F_k", Cockney rhyming slang
    Crisps
    Thomas the Tank
    Sticky toffee pudding
    Ricky Gervais, The Spice Girls, Monty Python
    Castles, castles and more castles
    So long, fare thee well, pip pip, cheerio!

    ReplyDelete