Monday, December 20, 2010

I just waterboarded our toddler lol...

What's worse than being sick and having to stay in bed for a week? Being healthy and having nothing to do but sit in your bed for a week. I noticed I was on the mend when I began to obsess about the standards of my living. For the past sick week, I was throwing kleenex in the general direction of the garbage, letting hair from my brush fall onto the floor by my sink, and sleeping on the same sheets after not showering for days. Basically, I was living in a sick pit. When I finally opened my curtains on the weekend, the glow of sunlight seemed to have awoken my disgust with myself. This sent me into an obsessive-compulsive spiral of cleanliness. I bought a vacuum cleaner, dusted windowsills, spent hours in the laundromat, threw out old curtains, scrubbed the toilet, and sanitized all my cutlery in boiling water. I am not well enough to travel around (I am working up my stamina to being outside in the cold. I can be out of the house for about two hours before I collapse) so I have to spend a lot of time in my room. When sick, I was content to lingering under the sheets and reading hours of Harry Potter books, but now I haven't felt moved to hear the call of Dumbledore's Army for a while. So what do I do? Well, I spent three hours wrapping Christmas presents to send home for my family only to find out that this Christmas, terrorists have had the same plan, but instead of presents being sent to family, they are wrapping bombs for infidels. Security has advised that no one pack wrapped presents in their luggage or they might be unwrapped by security and therefore damaged. I haven't decided if I will send all my gifts wrapped with Rich, and hope they don't get unwrapped by security or if I will unwrap them all so they don't get smashed up by security when they "unwrap" them. I guess it also depends on whether Rich decides to shave before he flies home, because often his Jamaican decent can be mistaken for terrorist if his beard has gotten away from him.

So I have decided to fill my evenings with watching my favourite tv shows that I have missed for the past six weeks. Modern Family has kept me laughing, which balances out my tears from watching Grey's and terror from watching Criminal Minds. Almost completely caught up, and not a moment too soon as Rich will be arriving soon and we can share some cleverly referenced jokes during our daily banter (we are that cool).

Tomorrow I plan on an outing to London, as there is no work for me for the rest of this week. I might see some museums, and will definitely be hitting up some markets. A travel to London takes about 35-40 minutes by train to London Paddington, then anywhere from 25 - 40 minutes on the underground to wherever I need to go. I also have yet to master reading train departure signs/time tables and have befriended one train manager who guides me every evening after work. One day he tried to actually explain how I can read the screens on my own, however my eyes glazed over so fast, he just told me the platform and the time and never attempted to teach me again. Now he just greets me and tells me where to go without me having to ask. I will definitely be giving him a Christmas card when I see him next.
Anyway, megavideo has now allowed me to return to watching Criminal Minds after waiting the usual 54 minutes between shows. I have somewhat desensitized myself from the show by convincing myself that since none of the killers have British accents, certainly these heinous crimes are only committed in America and therefore I have nothing to fear. La-la-la-la *fingers in ears*

1 comment:

  1. I gave you all of those time wasters and you didn't us any of them! Kids these days - with your internet and dvd's and cell phones - you just don't appreciate a quality time waster when you're given one!

    Glad to hear that you're feeling better sweetie. Being sick in a strange place all alone with nobody there to fuss over you really sucks (sometime, I'll tell you why I will never ever visit Fredericton again).

    If I don't communicate with you before then, have a holly jolly Christmas.

    ReplyDelete