Thursday, December 16, 2010

Brush with Death

Sorry for not writing sooner. As it is, I had to mentally prepare myself on my bed for about 20 minutes to get up the nerve to cross my room and open my laptop. For just over 2 weeks, I have has this terrible cough, congestion, fever problem and although it seemed to be better this weekend, I was struck down Monday night with intense fever and pains. Moving about has been somewhat of a trying task.

I went to the doctor yesterday and he gave me a new prescription of antibiotics (the other seemed to work, but didn't last long enough to kill everything). He assured me there would be no problems and sent me on my merry way. Well today, after two doses (1 tablet 3 times daily) I started feeling slightly funny in the head. I continued to read in my bed, until the light hit my right arm and I swore I saw a few dots that had not been there before. I checked my left arm and sure enough there were dots there too. I pulled back the covers and my entire body was covered in red bumps. I ran to my trusty sidekick, Noks and asked where I should go/what I should do. A roommate should never look so frightened when gazing upon your face...I knew I was in trouble. The skin around my face had begun to swell up quite nicely into a little puff. I looked like I was holding a snowball behind my lips.

So I rushed to the clinic and they saw me right away. They gave me a high dose anti-histamine and kept me for observation to make sure my throat didn't close or I didn't drift into a never-ending slumber. I was sent home, told to discontinue the meds, and take these new ones to combat the remaining bumps. My legs have the worst of it, but luckily what makes me the big bucks (my face) has returned to normal.

In the meantime, to keep busy while on bed-rest I have developed several addictions:
-Honey & Vanilla Tea
-Harry Potter books
-watching the HP movie right after finishing the book (disappointed with the 5th movie, I expected better)
-guessing what time it is when I have awoken from a nap, then seeing how close I am after checking (I have a little tally beside my bed)
-making toilet paper outfits for Pinkball, my favourite being his three-piece tuxedo or afternoon vest
-sleeping

Anyway, if you have any suggestions for me to occupy my time that don't involve me getting up from my bed, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I always found freckle counting to be absorbing - but don't get into a contest with Sean you'll lose.
    If you have ceiling tiles, you've probably counted them already but what about the little holes in the tiles.
    Count prime numbers as high as you can.
    Write your own Harry Potter world story (it can be as cheezy as you want since you don't have to tell anyone about it although I imagine that there are a lot of them online).
    Write long letters/emails to the people that you love (hint hint).
    Don't try arm hair counting - it just gets tedious and kind of freaky when you think about how much hair you have.
    Plan trips that you may or may not take.
    Look at houses online that you would buy if you were a millionaire
    (kind of sad how many time wasters I know isn't it)

    Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well sweetie. Take care of your health and get lots of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean - buy two tickets to Gatwick! Stat!!!

    OK not really but I hope Santie Claus sends you a stocking full of healthy pills and chicken noodle soup.
    Sending all our love.
    You did look a bit like a Hollywood starlet after botox injections - not recommended.

    Read Auntie Leslie's comments over and over - it will make you feel better!

    ReplyDelete