Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lids, Kids, and Embarrassment

Yesterday I found about a dozen juice lids floating in our classroom goldfish tank. I couldn't quite see them because the tank has a bright pink lid on it, so an adult has a somewhat obscured view of the surface of the water. What drew my attention was Orangey and Spot cowering in the corner of the tank, and I can't be sure, but I think they were quivering in fear. When I lifted the tank lid I discovered the juice lids and also gobs of glitter we had used for craft that day. The water was a shimmering sludge of silver and blue. I am not sure how long these goldfish will last but every day I am reminded of how wise it was to not have purchased a more costly class pet.


We also experienced our first bit of child sass yesterday, something I didn't know to exist among the very tiny humans. One little girl, who is an absolute darling, wanted to go outside without her coat. My TA stood her ground and made the child go back in to retrieve it. When she came outside, she was carrying on and moaning about how hot she was in a coat now (impossible as there was frost coating the ground and other children were bundled up like Randy from A Christmas Story), so my TA and I gave a laugh and said "oh come on now, you are alright." The girl looked at my TA with an intensely serious expression and said "Look at my face, I'm not laughing." Best line from a four year old. Something she surely picked up from an adult, if not myself, as I tend to say it when someone is giggling about a disastrous mess they have made. 


Lastly, I was asked to relay this story on here, sorry for anyone who read my fb message as I have copied and pasted it.
SO a few days ago I was in line to go through the ticket gates for the underground (enquire within if you don't know what I am talking about) when a mass of people crowd up behind me. I am pressed right against the backpack of the man in front of me. No big deal. EXCEPT when he pushes his ticket into the machine and walks through the open gates. I suddenly feel this pulling at my chest and I am being dragged forward toward the gate. Now, a few things happened very quickly. 1. I notice the elastic that holds his waterbottle to his backpack is hooked on a button on my jacket. 2. The button is directly on my chest adding to humiliation. 3. I know the gates close super fast, to prevent more than one person sneaking through at a time. 

So I lunge forward to stay attached to him because I haven't time to free myself before the gates close. As I do, the gates close anyway, half shutting on my legs, which was a severe shooting pain but I manage to force myself through. So of course, the gate keepers blow their whistle like I am a criminal trying to rip them off of 5 pounds and they start to move toward me. I try to rip my body free of the man just in time for him to see what is happening, as I am now pulling him backward. He sees the backpack-to-chest connection and starts swinging around in hopes of helping me free myself. Finally I am dislodged and EVERYONE on the platform has seen my altercation. Luckily the gate keeper who comes to me sees what happens and that I have a ticket in my hand so he laughingly lets me go. For a moment though, I did feel like Jason Bourne as police were approaching me from all angles like they just discovered my true identity. 
How do these things continue to happen to me?

2 comments:

  1. These things happen to you, so you can write very hilarious anecdotes to bring a smile to our lips and a laugh in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Katie. I think that if it's strange and it can happen, it will happen to you. I'm confident that all of your small scrapes protect you from having a big bad disaster (I did knock on wood to further protect you). Do you have big bruises from the gate?

    Poor goldfish. Someone once put a battery in with my goldfish but they were just fine so yours may survive the little humans.

    ReplyDelete