Saturday, June 1, 2013

Planned bedtime

I live with 3 guys. I enjoy it and much prefer it to living with 3 girls (no offence to 203). There is less drama and a lot less fuss, but there are some trade offs.

First of all, I take pride in my appearance...sometimes, most times, whatever. When I lived with girls, I didn't care who saw me without makeup/hair done etc, because they lived the same struggle as me. Night time was when the monsters came out. But living here, I always feel like guys are some superficial being with the IQ of a toaster. Of course they know we wear makeup. Of course they can probably predict what I look like without makeup - I am not Pamela Anderson, no one could predict that mess. But somehow this misconception of men's understanding has led me to planning my bedtime routines. When do I shower? When do I remove makeup? When does my hair get washed? When is it necessary to wear a bra? When do I really NEED to get out of my pjs? In 203, I remember a period of time where the girls and I wore pajamas all day, every day unless we absolutely had to change (which usually meant we were going some place fancier than a mall, because knowing us we were still in comfy clothes there too). Basically we could be the biggest dirt squirrels on the planet and none of the opposite sex/interested sex would know, because when we wanted to lure them in, we sorted ourselves out.
In my current situation, I leave my make up on as long as possible which is a change for me. I used to come home from work (around 6) and immediately take out my contacts and off came the makeup. Now, it's burning onto my skull until I know I can no longer keep my eyes open. Why, you might ask, do I need it on? Well...if anyone were to knock on my door, then I would need to look respectable. And in case you were wondering, no one ever does. That is, knock/come home when my makeup is on. The exact moment that they do is always approximately 7 minutes after I have removed all disguises. This leads me to hiding in my room, with the lights off, and headphones in. Great, that's healthy...not.

I also plan my shower routine, which usually involves lurking into the stall around 4:00 pm (when I get home now because I live so close to work) so that no one is around when I skulk back to my room with  my drowned rat hair. Who showers in the afternoon? Manual labourers and kindergardeners, is who.

It is a small price to pay for a drama-free and very entertaining household. So I will continue to linger like a cave troll during late nights. I am excited for my cousin Meg to join us soon and experience what I do. Hopefully united we will stand and stay in comfy clothes as long as we want! Huzzah!


2 comments:

  1. Too funny. I will not make any Mummy comments like - you are beautiful just the way you are, you are way too hard on yourself, your roomies enjoy your company no matter how you look....and on and on.....
    If cave dwelling encourages your blogging then troll-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum, you are the reason I have incredibly high self-esteem. Amazing. If I became a cave troll you would never even let me think it. haha xo

    ReplyDelete