Saturday, March 10, 2012

Return of the Mack or...Mr. Bond

Tomorrow is the long-anticipated and most-exciting return of Mr. Bond. You will all be happy to know I survived my week of abandonment independence with style and maturity-ish. I have become devishly addicted to the Hunger Games trilogy and spent many a free minute whizzing through the books. I have also spent the time working. Not as much fun, but still a worthwhile experience. That and worrying.

Worrying is in my blood. I am at several intersections of heritage that have led me to this life and if you look at where I came from, it's not hard to see why I spend much of my life worrying. Not that I have had a stressful life but I have been surrounded by worriers. My life has still been pleasant with my family, however I find most of my relatives are worriers and also Hungarians, which naturally brings them into mental loops of worry. Glenn Turner once said "worry is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but it gets you no where." How true it is, as I have worried about everything in the past week and I am still exactly where I was before. Worrying is so common in my family that when I told my stepdad that I was writing a post on worrying, he emailed the quote that has been stuck to our family fridge since as long as I can remember. Worrying is somewhat similar to my high expectations - outlandish and unfounded. I don't worry that Bond won't have a warm enough jumper for the week, I worry that while swimming in the Sea, he somehow managed to be consumed by a shark.

Anyway, I anticipation of his return, I had to make sure my schedule would be clear tomorrow so I have had to complete all my lesson planning today. I spent all day working, yet have managed to not complete my lessons. I have been distracted by the hair on the carpet (THAT needed to be vacuumed), dust floating in a sunbeam (how beautiful and wonderful! I wonder, is the dust always floating like that or only in this beam of the sun...), the state of my eyebrows (this sunlight picks up the hairs on my face too), and obviously this blog. Now I must get back to devising a scheme for teaching 2-dimensional symmetry, maybe I will worry about how my distracted lesson planning will impact the future educational studies of my children...

Here is the family quote:

When you worry, you go over the same ground endlessly and come out the same place you started. Thinking makes progress from one place to another; worry remains static.
Walker, Harold B

1 comment: