Saturday, March 10, 2012

Heart of Slumbers

Just a quick update:

I never finished Heart of Darkness nor would I recommend anyone to read it in this day in age. I give myself a gold star on my fridge for trying. I made it to page 60 yet only managed to grasp the most superficial and vague idea of what the plot may or may not be about.

Embarrassing part:

I was reporting my failure back to my mother and Sean and in a passing comment about the book I saw their faces freeze. They then approached the conversation carefully. I simply said that the book reminded me too much of Apocalypse Now and how silly that this Kurtz man is so sought after and mysterious EXACTLY like Marlon Brando.

Fact:

Apocalypse Now was based on the novella Heart of Darkness. They are so similar because they are the same story. The movie has just been set in an more recent war.

Result:

Sean thought I was using incredible wit to create a very dry humor joke. His shame was all that remained when he realized the truth. Mum sheepishly corrected me - thanks Tips.

Near disaster:

If I had gone to book club and mentioned this silly "link" on Tuesday, I would have definitely been asked to leave and never return. Maggie would have cut up my library card then lit it on fire in front of me.

Crisis averted.


1 comment:

  1. Seanie and I are still chuckling about this misunderstanding, and your delivery was perfect. I hope Maggie is gentle with you.
    Mumszha

    ReplyDelete