Friday, October 28, 2011

Shitmunchers

Bond and I conveniently live right across from a Sainsbury's (our Zehrs) so we tend to shop quite regularly for groceries (daily). Which is quite pathetic because instead of ever planning ahead, we pop in every night to buy our evening meal. I am still getting used to the ins and outs of the country and all the social norms that no one has ever set out for me. My most recent life lesson has been about the types of brands you should or should not be purchasing from the grocery store.

I did a shop by myself and purchased some grapefruit in a can (I always have fresh ones, so don't judge, but that day I thought it might be nice to switch it up and pour them over some porridge or something). Well I opened it up and it seemed a bit skunky. Bond told me to never buy Sainsbury's Basics because it is never the best quality.

The next day I went back to Sainsbury's (of course) for some brown sugar. When I got to the sugar aisle, the only brand I could find was Sainsbury's. So I returned with my head hung and tail between my legs to report back to Bond that I had to buy the crap stuff. He looked at it and said that Sainbury's brand was ok to buy, it's just "never buy Sainbury's Basics. Sainbury's Basics is so the shitmunchers can afford to do their weekly shop. There are different levels of Sainbury's brands."

Hilarious. Only in England would a class system be so ingrained that even the names of the food brands denote where you stand in life. Further, for the lowest class to be defined as shitmunchers is even better. Britains version of the Untouchables. Oh brother.

1 comment:

  1. Nummers!
    I'll never forget buying chicken in a can (don't judge me as well)and making chicken salad sandwiches. Even Jean, the most gracious person, took one bite and ptootied it in her napkin. It was shite.
    Bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete